Platform to map the smart specialisation of Catalonia
An interactive tool to visualise the development of the sectorial and technological specialisation of research and innovation in Catalonia financed by European funds
The RIS3-MCAT Platform is an open government, artificial intelligence, data visualisation initiative that integrates and interrelates open data from science and innovation projects, making this data interoperable with the aim of contributing to the following goals:
- Assess the impact of European funds on the specialisation of the research and innovation ecosystem in Catalonia.
- Identify opportunities to maximise the collective impact of research and innovation in Catalonia through synergies and the coordination of efforts.
- Provide new evidence to assist decision-making by stakeholders in the research and innovation ecosystem of Catalonia, encourage new collaboration dynamics and inspire new public policies.
- Raise the profile of organisations in Catalonia that participate in European research and innovation networks.
- Understand how European funds contribute to providing innovative responses to societal challenges.
The new platform, which is currently at the concept testing stage, enables mapping and characterisation of activities by Catalan organisations in Horizon 2020 European programme projects and instruments of RIS3CAT communities and technology clusters. This platform:
- Dynamically maps the relations between organisations in the R&D&I system in Catalonia and detects the structure and evolution of innovative networks and communities in the various areas of specialisation.
- Dynamically maps cooperation by organisations in Catalonia with international partners within the framework of the Horizon 2020 programme.
- Shows the evolution in time and geographic distribution of projects and players in the R&D&I system of Catalonia.
- Enables users to explore fields of research and innovation in Catalonia through more than 15,000 key words.
1. An overview of network member organisations, which occupies the central space on the screen.
The organisations are represented by circles in which the size, colour, location and lines linking them all assist with interpreting the data. The mouse can be used to identify and select organisations.
From the main menu, the user can change the criteria by which the organisations are grouped in order to show them as networks as follows:
- High level of cooperation (groups of entities that tend to collaborate more among themselves than with others)
- Programmes (Horizon 2020, RIS3CAT instruments or both)
- Type of organisation
This overview can also be restricted to subgroups of data by applying any of the following filters:
- Sectorial area
- Type of organisation
- Name of organisation
- Key word
- Time period
2. Information modules at the bottom of the screen, which show, for each group of data selected in the network, figures on
- Number of projects
- Number of organisations
- Investment associated with projects
- Number of partners outside Catalonia